April 20, 2016 - 9:30 am
On April 18, 2016, Alberta Occupational Health and Safety returned responsibility of the Long Lake Hydrogen Compressor Unit to Nexen. Our top priority remains the safety of our workforce and completing a thorough investigation of the incident. We will continue to work with all regulatory bodies completing independent investigations.
January 26, 2016 - 2:45 pm
It is with great sadness that we can confirm the employee injured in the January 15 Long Lake explosion has succumbed to injuries. We wish to express our deepest condolences to the impacted families. We remain fully committed to continuing to support the families affected by this devastating tragedy.
January 16, 2016 - 2:00 pm
Nexen continues to respond to the accident which occurred at our Long Lake oil sands facility south of Fort McMurray. We are deeply saddened to report that this explosion resulted in the death of one of our employees, while another employee sustained serious injuries. Our primary focus right now is on the well-being and safety of our people and supporting them as they deal with the outcomes of this tragic accident. Here are the details we are able to share at this time:
- The explosion occurred at our Long Lake site near the hydrocracker unit at approximately 3:20pm on Friday, January 15.
- Our emergency response plan was activated and response personnel, including first responders from the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, arrived on site.
- Our leadership team in Long Lake, Calgary and Beijing, were activated and are supporting the response to this crisis.
- We are devastated to confirm that one employee died in the accident. The employee who was seriously injured was sent to a local hospital and has subsequently been transported to Edmonton for further treatment.
- Immediately following the accident, the affected facility was shut down, and we have stabilized the site. We have also shut down our upgrader and reduced our SAGD facility to minimum rates.
- Our employees, contractors and neighbouring communities are our primary concern, and we can confirm that we have taken steps to ensure their well-being and safety. We continue to provide them with timely information.
- We notified the regulator immediately and are fully cooperating with authorities investigating this accident. We have already begun our own internal investigation to determine what caused this tragic accident.