The Sundial - Affordable Housing
We're helping the Sundial in Calgary, Canada retire its mortgage.
Nexen is committed to giving back to the communities where we operate. We believe successful companies are a part of successful communities. When we help build communities that are strong and dynamic, they attract and retain people who can be a part of our growing business success.
In each country where we operate, we "ReachOut" to help make communities better places. Here are just a few examples:
Canada – Calgary
In Calgary, we’ve committed $750,000 to the Calgary Drop-In and Rehabilitation Centre to pay down the mortgage on the Sundial building – an affordable housing complex located next door to our head office. We plan to further our commitment to support the success of the Sundial’s residents over the coming years.
Canada – Oil Sands
Some of Nexen's major investments in northeastern Alberta, Canada include supporting education, recreation and training in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo. We consider local culture and community needs when making our community support decisions. To that end, Nexen has made several significant donations in Fort McMurray and the hamlet of Anzac, our Long Lake operations’ closest neighbour. We proud sponsors of:
- Keyano College – athletic facilities and the state-of-the-art Oil Sands Process and Power Engineering Lab
- Schools - education and youth development programs at Anzac’s Bill Woodward School and the Science and Technology Centre at Fort McMurray’s Father Patrick Mercredi High School
- Scholarships – assisting and encouraging regional students to pursue post-secondary education through Nexen’s Oil Sands Scholarship program
- MacDonald Island Recreation Facility – two Nexen Field Houses and the CNOOC Nexen Stage at Shell Place sports stadium
- Anzac Recreation Centre – a multi-use recreation facility including an NHL-sized ice surface, fitness equipment, an indoor gym and much more
- Events - ranging from the McMurray Girl celebration which recognizes local women who are embracing, shaping and caring for the community, to Sustainival, an annual bio-diesel powered carnival that offers family fun while educating people about the next generation of sustainable living solutions
In the UK, our support includes the Lord Provost's Charitable Trust in Aberdeen, the Pitcaple Environmental Project, the UK-wide Outward Bound Trust, the Mayor's Fund for London, and Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children. We committed £100,000 over three years to the Journey of a Lifetime Trust. This organization helps transform the lives of disadvantaged young people through empowering expeditions held in locations around the world. We have also set up 11, four-year undergraduate scholarships for students in science and business programs at English and Scottish universities based on academic merit and financial need.
United States – Gulf of Mexico
Nexen made a $100,000 contribution to the Greater New Orleans Foundation to help fishing families recover from the impact of the Macondo oil spill.
In Colombia, Nexen supports a wide range of charitable foundations and local initiatives. These include nutrition programs for children, seniors and people with disabilities, education programs for young people, and sponsorship of an organization that provides housing, food and care for children receiving cancer treatment in Bogota. Nexen has also supported improvements to a milk cooperative used by two communities near our exploration operations, which include new cooling and storage tanks to double capacity, as well as renovations to improve the facility.
Nexen and our Usan co-venturers collectively support a number of community projects in Nigeria, including a US$1.2 million contribution to open additional beds, install a new power generator and purchase state-of-the-art medical equipment at the pediatric ward of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital. Nexen also independently supports a number of community projects, including the Street Child Care and Welfare Initiative (SCCWI), a Nigerian charitable organization that provides education, counseling, rehabilitation and temporary accommodation for homeless children in Lagos, and the Montane Forest Project, a conservation research initiative that empowers local communities through employment and education.
During our 25-plus years in Yemen, we've made a significant difference in the country and formed close ties with the Yemeni people. We’ve helped build schools, provided community medical clinics, purchased and installed power generators in local communities and supported a number of projects to improve water supply and sanitation facilities.